Saturday, July 5, 2008

From Scratch Fer Shur!


Last week I was all set to make granola bars when I realized I was missing a key ingredient- sweetened condensed milk. I did a Google search and, miracle of miracles, found a recipe for it! I tried it and was pleased with the result- I couldn't tell any difference between it and the canned variety. Here's what you do:


In a heavy saucepan, combine 1/2 cup water, 2/3 cup sugar and 1 cup plus two tablespoons nonfat dry (powdered) milk. Bring to a boil and stir until thickened (about 15 minutes). Then you're good to go...another plus- this recipe's fat free!

Here's the granola bar recipe:

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

Cover a large cookie sheet with foil and spray with Pam.

In a large bowl, stir together 2 1/2 cups oatmeal (not instant), 1 cup coconut, 2 bags Planters Nuts, Seeds and Raisin Trail Mix (or 3 cups of unsalted nuts, seeds and raisins), and the sweetened condensed milk.

Spread evenly on the cookie sheet and bake 1 hour or until browned. Cut into bars, cool and peel off the foil.

No comments: